DSWD to consider extending distribution of relief goods until next year

Thursday, December 12th, 2013. Filed under: Philippine News
boxes

Boxes of relief goods

TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte (Mabuhay) – Distribution of relief goods especially to vulnerable sectors in calamity-stricken areas of Visayas may be extended until next year, the Department of Social Welfare of Development’s (DSWD) regional office in Eastern Visayas announced.

The DSWD previously said their relief distribution efforts would just be until the end of this year, but this could change depending on the agency’s assessment of the situation, DSWD officer-in-charge for Eastern Visayas Nestor Ramos said.

“(As) per assessment of our department, the relief distributions will be up to December 30, but we will do another assessment of whether we would continue our relief distribution after December. But definitely, for the vulnerable (sectors), it will continue,” Ramos told members of the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (RDRRMC) during a meeting here.

The DSWD already plans to move into its cash-for-work program beginning January next year and has instructed local government units, through their Municipal Social Welfare Development offices, to prepare a project proposal as for the qualified beneficiaries of the said program.

About P533,698,756 worth of family food packs were already distributed by the DSWD for Leyte and Samar provinces alone as of December 7 (Saturday). Cost of assistance for the relief distribution efforts of local government units amounted to P3,938,454.

Meanwhile, the DSWD is launching this afternoon its ‘Feel Good’ project to be attended by Secretary Corazon Soliman, in partnership with the Department of Education and private companies like HBC and the Reyes Haircutters.

The project will serve as a morale booster to the typhoon survivors conceptualized by DSWD’s partner groups from the private sector in Manila. Some 30 haircutters will be giving free haircut to teachers and volunteers in Palo and Holy Infant College in Tacloban. This will be followed shortly by an activity to decorate the ‘Tree of Hope’. (MNS)

Share Button

Related posts

Aquino: Job enormous, but I’m determined to serve weaves DAP early into his fifth report to the nationBRP Alcaraz brings 123.7 tons of relief goods to LeyteHouse leader seeks PHP15,000 across-the-board hike in teachers’ salaryAquino meets with UN chief Ban Ki-Moon in MalacañangMeeting with Kerry fruitful, strengthens US-PHL ties, says AquinoDingdong to spend Christmas in typhoon-hit VisayasTrillanes agrees with FVR’s assessment that Team Philippines is losingDisaster resilience must be part of LGU dev’t plans — VP RobredoWhy Duterte offered Cabinet posts to RedsDrought-stricken Zamboanga get water supply from Red CrossPNoy signs P3.002-trillion 2016 budgetDepEd gets biggest chunk of 2016 budget in preparation for K to 12DSWD warns ‘Lando’ evacuees against returning home sans go-signal of authoritiesPinoy boxers sweep foes in their US debutApl.de.ap Foundation International donates ophthalmology equipment to medical center in Davao CityGen. Mac Arthur’s aide received recognition from Filipino seniorsSophie denies plan to leave TV5, but is open to options BFAR issues red tide warning in 5 Vis-Min areasPHL US Millennium Challenge Corporation reaffirm strong partnershipKnights Templar Eye Foundation, Inc. awards Campaign for Filipino Children $95K grant