Grand Park’s Downtown Bookfest 2014
GRAND PARK CELEBRATES LA’S LOVE FOR LOCAL AUTHORS, PUBLISHERS AND BOOKSELLERS AT SECOND ANNUAL GRAND PARK DOWNTOWN BOOKFEST
Los Angeles’ only book festival that focuses exclusively on the local community, the second annual Grand Park Downtown Bookfest offers Angelenos of all ages access to the largest coalition of Los Angeles-based presses and publishers in an outdoor bookstore setting. The free Bookfest provides a platform for writers and budding authors of all ages as well as literary support communities, including libraries and local non-profit organizations. Book lovers big and small can see, hear and read from the largest coalition of Los Angeles-based authors, publishers and literacy groups brought together in one day. Guests can enjoy:
• Bilingual performances by Birdie’s Playhouse, featuring upbeat Latin rhythms and catchy pop refrains to get kids up and moving.
• Performances by Story Pirates, with a one-of-a-kind sketch comedy musical based entirely on stories by children, including those in the audience; parents and adults can submit original stories by kids at http://www.grandparkla.org/
• The World’s Longest Story by 826LA, where they can add their own lines.
• A massive comic book by Ryman Arts, where they can draw in their own characters.
• A customized poem-on-demand by Poesia Para la Gente.
• Selections from the California African American Museum collection, including a rare textbook used in classes at Madam C.J. Walker’s Beauty College.
• Writing prompts to inspire would-be adult writers provided by PUBLISH!
• The Writ Large pop-up bookshop to discover books, zines and literary gems.
• Storytellers dressed as children’s authors presented by The Music Center Education Department.
• Los Angeles’ best DIY authors creating and selling their work presented by Zinefest.
• Readings of essays about Union Station’s 75th anniversary commissioned by Metro.
Guests are also encouraged to bring books in good condition to donate to Grand Park’s Little Libraries
(please no explicit materials), where they can also take home books for free.
WHEN: Saturday, March 29, 2014, noon-5:00 p.m.
Grand Park, downtown Los Angeles
200 N. Grand Avenue
Between Grand Avenue and Hill Street
Take the METRO RED or PURPLE LINE TO CIVIC CENTER/GRAND PARK STATION, GOLD LINE TO LITTLE TOKYO/ARTS DISTRICT STATION.
Tags: 826LA Anniversary authors Bilingual performances Birdie’s Playhouse book festival Book lovers Books BOOKSELLERS bookshop bookstore California African American Museum Children comedy musical comic book Community Events free Bookfest grand park GRAND PARK DOWNTOWN BOOKFEST Grand Park’s Little Libraries Latin rhythms LA’S LOVE FOR LOCAL AUTHORS literacy groups literary gems Madam C.J. Walker's Beauty College metro Poesia Para la Gente PUBLISHERS Ryman Arts Story Pirates Storytellers The Music Center Education Department Union Station World’s Longest Story Writ Large writers Zinefest zines