Holiday recipes from top Paris chefs: Éric Frechon’s salmon baked in coarse sea salt and vegetables cooked with olive oil
(Relaxnews) – We’re in the final run-up to the year-end festivities. This week Relaxnews provides you with recipes from top chefs in Paris to add a gourmet French touch to your Christmas menu. Today, triple Michelin-starred Éric Frechon, who is the chef at the iconic Bristol hotel in Paris, gives us his recipe for salmon baked in coarse sea salt and vegetables cooked with olive oil, which is served at his own restaurant Lazare in the capital.
Preparation time: 35 min
Cooking time: 10 min
4 salmon fillets with the skin on weighing 180 g each
For the vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas mark 6).
- Peel the carrots and the turnips, then dice finely. Wash the zucchini, wipe it, cut off its ends, then dice it to the same size as the carrots and turnips. If necessary, remove the stalks and trim the snow peas. Shell the fresh peas.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, and drop the vegetables in one after the other so that they are cooked al dente (approximately 5 minutes for the carrots, turnips and fresh peas, 4 minutes for the snow peas, and 1 minute for the zucchini). As soon as they are cooked, take them out of the pan with a slotted spoon and rinse them in cold water: this enables the vegetables to keep their color and crunchiness. Let them cool.
- Rinse and wipe the salmon fillets, making sure there are no bones.
Half-fill a high-sided earthenware dish with coarse sea salt. Arrange the salmon fillets on top, skin side down, then place in the oven. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes. To test if the salmon is cooked, stick a knife into the thickest part — if it’s warm it’s done.
- Dice the lemon confit finely. Put the olive oil in a frying pan, heat on high and add the vegetables, the lemon confit, and season with salt and pepper. Mix with a spatula to make sure they are well coated with oil, add a little water and heat for 2 minutes, during which time they should become beautifully shiny.
- Put a salmon fillet on each plate after having removed the skin delicately, and surround with the glazed vegetables. Serve immediately.