Top family-friendly attractions in the US 2014
(Relaxnews) – Parents planning their summer vacation this year may want to consult a new ranking of the top kid-friendly attractions as voted by families across the US.
According to 2,000 readers of FamilyFun magazine, the top historic site in the US, for instance, is Mount Rushmore, while the top national park for families is the Great Smoky Mountains in North Carolina and Tennessee.
Orlando, Florida emerged as the leading family travel destination in the US, with attractions like Disney’s Magic Kingdom Park, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and the city of Orlando taking the overall top spots.
Likewise, readers of the world’s largest travel site TripAdvisor also gave the Sunshine State top marks for being family-friendly in a survey released this week: four of the top 10 family-friendly hotels in the US can be found in Florida, including the leading hotel, Floridays Resort Orlando, a fully equipped, condo-style suite.
Here are the top kid-friendly attractions according to FamilyFun:
Top 5 Family Museums
1. The Strong Museum (NY)
2. Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (IL)
3. The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis (IN)
4. American Museum of Natural History (NY)
5. Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (DC)
Top 5 Historic Sites
1. Mount Rushmore National Memorial (SD)
2. National Mall and Memorial Parks (DC)
3. The White House (DC)
4. Lincoln Home National Historic Site (IL)
5. World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument (includes Pearl Harbor Visitors’ Center and 8 other sites in 3 states) (HI, AK, CA)
Top 5 National Parks and Preserves
1. Great Smoky Mountains National Park (NC, TN)
2. Yellowstone National Park (WY, MT, ID)
3. Mammoth Cave National Park (KY)
4. Yosemite National Park (CA)
5. Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (MN)
Full results will be published in the April issue of FamilyFun magazine which reaches an audience of four million readers.